Another entry for the "Poverty Cookbook"

Polish Cabbage Noodles from allrecipes.com.  I have to admit I was cruising recipes and the name sounded so disgusting that I was forced to click on it purely out of morbid curiosity.  It was so highly reviewed that I just had to try it.  Holy crap, it's really good.  And REALLY cheap.  I've copied the recipe below, and have added notes in red.  This is the perfect meal for a cool fall evening.

Ingredients

1 medium head shredded cabbage (I used about 1/3-1/2 of an organic cabbage)
2 red onions, cut into strips (I used half of a yellow onion)
1/2 cup butter
1 (16 ounce) package wide egg noodles (used 2/3 of a 12 oz package of organic whole wheat noodles)
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
I added garlic salt as well
try it first with the seasoning, and if you like spicy, sprinkle some hot sauce on top.

Directions
1.Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water.
2.Meanwhile, heat butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Brown the butter a bit. Saute cabbage and onions until tender.
3.Drain pasta, and return to the pot. Add cabbage and onion mixture to the noodles, and toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

We served it with some grilled organic Italian chicken sausage that I got on sale for $2!  And it made a ton, so it was lunch the next day as well.

Cost breakdown:
Organic head of cabbage - $1
Bag of whole wheat egg noodles - $1.79, but I only used 2/3 of it, so $1.34
Organic chicken sausage - $2
1 stick of organic butter (2 lbs from Costco for $6.89) - $.86
1/2 of organic onion 4 lb bag for $2.50, so  ~ $.35
Total cost for 3 people for 2 meals = $5.55

Labels: