Airing my dirty laundry. The first post in a week-long series

This week I'm going to do a series on laundry.  I know, I sure like to tackle the sexy topics, huh?

Ugh, laundry.  The pile of torture that plagues all families in this country.  But did you know that it doesn't have to be a struggle and something that haunts your dreams?  It's true!  Between clothes, sheets, cloth diapers, and misc., we do 1 load of laundry a day.  And yet, I spend maybe 15-20 min a day tackling it.  So much better than leaving it all for the weekend and taking up your free downtime.

So, to kick off my series series, I bring you the cheapest and easiest laundry tip of all.  Make sure you have a pen and paper handy because you'll want to write it down.  Ready?

1) buy a Downy Ball
2) fill it about 2/3 full with cheap white vinegar (3 gallons for $4 from Costco)
3) drop in washing machine and walk away

Ok, I guess that didn't require you to get a pen and paper.  Anyone with a short-term memory equivalent to a gnat should be able to remember that. 

Cheap, white vinegar is truly a miracle worker!  I use it in my homemade cleaning supplies and it's fabulous in any type of laundry.  In laundry it acts as a odor neutralizer and a bit of a fabric softener.  The smell WILL wash out during the rinse.  I promise that you won't walk around wearing clothes that make you smell like you're in a Massengill ad.

I used to adore fabric softener, but once I realized what it was doing to my clothes, the environment, and my pocketbook, I quickly looked for an alternative.  Now, if I can smell it on someones clothes, I wonder what allure it ever held for me; it's SO strong.

We never use anti-static products, and yet I don't have a problem with clingy clothes inappropriately riding up my back or sticking unflatteringly to my buthigh (the horrible part of every woman's body where their butt meets their thigh).

So give vinegar in the Downy Ball a chance and see how it works for you!

Labels: ,