Churn baby churn

Last week I read this post by Ashley English and knew I wanted to try my hand at making butter. Apparently butter making is not something that takes place too much these days.  I found this out when I sent a friend a text saying "Jack and I are going to make butter this weekend"!  She responded with "you mean like with a churn"?  My answer "bwahaaa, no with a cuisinart".

Ashley has great instructions on the particulars.  Basically take 2 cups of heavy cream and let it come to room temperature or about 72 degrees.  Our place is wicked cold, so after  3 hours, I had to help out the "room temperature" aspect with 15 seconds in the microwave.

Step 1: ask your assistant to add the cream to a food processor:

 
 Step 2: whip for 5-8 minutes:
Step 3: place butter mass in a sieve and allow it to drip for a while:

Step 4: rinse butter in a bowl in cold water until the water runs clear:
Step 5: If you want salt added, do it now.  With butter on a cutting board, press it with your hands or a spoon to remove moisture.  This part took the longest for me and my right arm got very sore.  I'd love to make butter again, but will definitely look for an easier way to remove the moisture in the future:
Step 6: ask your assistant for an official taste test:
Homemade butter on homemade bread?  "More pwease mommy"!
My 2 cups made about 8 oz.  I transferred to jelly jars, covered with a paper towel and lid, and then turned them upside down overnight to drain off any excess moisture.  The results is gorgeous whipped butter:

This post is also posted on Frugal Tip Tuesdays, Real Food Wednesdays, Simple Lives Thursdays, and Pennywise Thursdays

Labels: , ,