The world's best chocolate cake

Well, at least according to me and a few people at Jack's birthday party on Sunday.

I used this recipe from allrecipes.com but tweaked it to make it a little "healthier" and to use less processed items.  It's also easy enough that you can make it with a two year old kitchen helper.

Chocolate cake a'la Sarah
1/2 cup of organic evaporated cane juice (It's basically really coarse sugar you can buy at Costco)
3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa, plus however much Jack snuck in when I wasn't paying attention
2 cups of all purpose flour...but I think I used bread flour
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp of baking soda
1 heaping tsp of baking powder

Mix dry ingredients.  Add 1 box of chocolate pudding mix (5.9 oz), 1 cup + a lil extra sour cream, 4 beaten eggs, 1/2 cup of warm water, and 1 cup of oil.  I don't like vegetable oil.  At all.  I made a "test" cake 2 weeks ago to prep for the party and used walnut oil.  It gave off a weird fish taste, so I do not recommend walnut oil!  This time I used enough melted coconut oil to yield 1 cup plus a little extra.  Mix all of this stuff.

Then add ~ 2 cups of chocolate chips.  Mixture will be extremely thick.  It was almost like brownie batter.  Spoon in to a buttered and floured baking pan of your choice.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 47 minutes.  Remove from oven and place on a wire rack.  Allow it to fully cool in the pan. 

Tomorrow - frosting and decorating!

Labels: , ,