Keep calm and carry on

I once found a blog where the blog header has a quote that says "I've had the kind of day that would make Saint Francis want to kick babies".  I'm sorry that I don't remember the link to give appropriate credit, because it's a funny quote.

Well, if you replace "day" with week, you'd be in my shoes.

Last week we got some crappy news about my poor momma.  Her arm has been hurting for awhile and she finally went to the doctor and had an MRI.  Now, for my mom to actually say "it hurts" and want to see someone means the rest of us would be in the fetal position sucking our thumbs.  Bear in mind, this is the woman who walked around for months saying her foot felt funny.  IT WAS BROKEN.

Anyhoo, her rotator cuff is all kinds of fucked and can't be fixed.  Horrible news for the normal person, but when you consider that she needs her shoulders and arms to push her walker (she has had MS for 35 years), it truly sucks monkey balls.

I thought the week was getting better last Wednesday when we found out Troy got a paid EMT job!  This is great and means he'll be gainfully employed in a field that is actually close to what he is trying to do (become a fire fighter).  The good news was short-lived when we got a call that night that my grandfather had passed away.

Grandpa Carl was the best.  He was such a kind and dear man and never had a cross word to say about anyone.  I remember reading some letters that he and my grandma had written to each other, and to paraphrase my gramps it said "I don't mean to curse Mary, but these darn guys make me so angry".  So when I say kindhearted, I mean just the best kind of guy out there.

He had been suffering from dementia for a few years, and was moved to assisted living last fall.  His mind was fleeting, but his heart and his gentle soul is how I choose to remember him.  He was a wonderful man, and he will be missed dearly.


Just when I thought it was safe to pull my head out of my cloud, I get a call on Friday that my dad was headed to the ER with heart trouble.  Bah, when it rains it pours!  He turned out to be ok, but Jack and ended up having a sleepover at grandma and grandpa's house to make sure all was well.

And just when you think that it's safer to stay in your bed all day and cry, you pull yourself out of your sadness stupor and see something like this:





And then you take a deep breath and realize that today is another day.  Bad stuff happens.  Sorrows happen.  But the sun always comes up the next day and you move on and snuggle the people around you just a little bit closer.