What exactly does one eat at the ass crack of dawn?

When you have to wake up at 4:45 am, what is on the breakfast menu to allow for every additional second of precious sleep?  SLURPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

No, not this kind of Slurpee:

a huge dose of high fructose corn syrup and red dye is NOT how I like to start MY day.


Jack started calling smoothies "slurpees" about 3 months ago, and the name has stuck.  With my longer commute, and even earlier wake up time, a healthy and portable breakfast is in order.  And I rarely do coffee, and never caffinated coffee, so the breakfast of choice must include something with enough energy to prop up my heavy eyelids.

Sarah's Bright-Eyed and Bushy-Tailed Smoothie
1/2 cup of froze fruit (I used a mixed bag of pineapple, mangoes, strawberries, and papya)
5 oz of homemade raw milk yogurt
Splash of organic milk
1 big fistful of organic baby spinach
1 banana
1 tsp organic chia seeds*
Blend and enjoy!
I'll admit, I've been coveting this smoothie blender for months, but a few things happened.  1) I reigned myself in and reminded myself I don't need to spend money on more "stuff".  2) I saw the cup in-person and realized it wouldn't fit in my tiny little cup holders in my car.  When you drive a stick shift, the cup holder is your friend.  So, instead of purchasing more crap to fill my kitchen, I just use my immersion blender that I've had for years.  Bonus is that I can make the smoothie IN the cup I'll eventually drink out of so it reduces dirty dishes.  Because I need more dirty dishes like I need a hole in my head.
Let's run the numbers!
-bag of frozen fruit - $8.79 at Costco.  Not organic, but it is in my price range.  Works out to $.22 per serving
-homemade raw milk yogurt - $.45 per serving
-organic spinach - $.35 per serving (if I can find a type that doesn't bolt in heat, I'll plant my own.  Any suggestions dear readers?)
-1 banana - $.17
1 tsp organic chia seeds - $8.99 a lb in the bulk section at my market.  I bought .22 lbs for a cost of $1.98.  I'll be able to get about 15 servings from that, so $.13 per serving.
Total: $1.32 for a 16 oz homemade, real food, healthy smoothie

I drink this in the car, and then have 2 hard boiled eggs at work around 9 am to get some protein.  The 2 hard boiled eggs are $.66 total.  A yummy breakfast that keeps me going until lunch for under $2 - score!

*Wondering what in the hell a chia seed might be?  Read all about it courtesy of Wikipedia.

Labels: