A butthole clenching moment if there ever was one

Also file under "titles that would make my grandmother cringe".

Jack and I were driving home tonight and a little girl darted out on the sidewalk near my car.  I slammed on my brakes, rolled my window down and asked the crying child if she was ok.  She told me she was lost and needed to find her daddy.  Jack and I pulled over and got out of the car.

She told me her name was Gwen and she couldn't find her mommy and daddy.  I asked her is she knew where she lived and could she show me her house.  I took her hand and as we rounded the corner, I hear a woman yelling "oh my god Gwen".  Both mother and daughter burst in to tears, and were soon joined in a few minutes by a crying dad.

It was NOT a very nice part of town, and had I been an unsavory character, she could have been gone in an instant.

This incident had a small upside
1) It ended happily.  Everyone was safe and where they should be at the end of the day.
2) Hopefully the girl learned a lesson and stays put.
3) Jack is now TERRIFIED of what happens if you don't listen to your mommy and daddy.  In fact, he was obsessed with what happened and we relived it over and over and over and over and over...again in the car.  "Mommy, you be the little girl, and I be her mommy.  Was she SO sad?  Did she cwy"? Ahem.

Because this post needs something cute and a reminder that our children are precious, here is Jack reenacting the event.  Because this is what we did ALL night.  The little girl is played expertly by Batman.

We were driving down the road.
 Suddenly, we saw a little girl amongst all the traffic.
We were so surprised to see a little girl there!
She was lost and so sad.
Then we found her mommy and daddy and everyone was happy.