Cinnamon roll muffins

This must be the week of me throwing nutrition out the window, and just "going for it".  I'm not even PMS'ing, so let's go ahead and blame it on the change in the weather.  Apparently Fall weather screams cinnamon and sugar to me.

My friend Mary recommended these Cinnamon Bun Muffins from Mary Ellen's Cooking Creation (no relation to my friend Mary) to me.


Ingredients
1 cup of buttermilk
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
3-3.5 cups of flour (I used whole wheat)

Filling
3 tblsp of butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon (I probably put like 3 tblsp in there)

Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tblsp milk
Splash of vanilla
*I actually really really disliked the icing; it was way too sweet.  Going forward, I will likely make a cream cheese frosting

Put the brown sugar, baking soda, salt, vanilla, and egg into a mixing bowl.  Add the buttermilk, then the flour, stir until thoroughly combined into a dough.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.

Roll the dough into a big rectangle and spread with the butter.  Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon.
I screwed it up and mixed the butter, cinnamon, and sugar together.  Worked out ok in the end I think.
Roll the dough into a log beginning with the wide side of the dough.  Cut into two-inch pieces and put these pieces into grease muffin tins or cupcake liners.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown (that was about 2-3 minutes too long in my oven).
Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes, and then remove from the tins.  Drizzle with icing.

Labels: