Homemade apple pie

Because not EVERYTHING can be super healthy and good for you.  Sometimes, the first fruits of the season need to be paired with sugar.  It's a fact.

Last week I made an apple pie for my boss' birthday.  She loves fruit pies, and the apples at the local fruit stand were calling my name; how could I say no?

The crust recipe is my old standby from allrecipes, which is where I also found the recipe for the filling.  I make this at least once every fall; it's a wonderful way to show off the fruit that put Washington State on the map.

Start out with a batch of crust.  Unlike other crust recipes, I find that this crust is easiest to work with when warm.  I'll even put it in the microwave for 30 seconds before starting the rolling process.  Place part of the crust in the bottom of a pie pan.  Top with 8 apples that have been peeled, cored, and thinly sliced.  I used Granny Smith's.
Top with a lattice crust.  Trim the ends of the dough strips.

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  In a small saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter.  Add 3 tblsp of flour to the melted butter; stir to make a roux.  Add 1/2 cup of brown sugar (why not make your own!), and 1/2 cup of white sugar (I use organic evaporated cane juice from Costco; a less processed form of sugar), and 1/4 cup of water.  The recipe doesn't call for cinnamon, but I always put in about 2 tblsp.  Allow the mixture to come to a boil, and remove from heat.
Pour the sauce carefully over the top of the crust.  It's advisable to put the pie on a foil-lined cookie sheet.  I speak from experience on this one...
Bake for 15 minutes at 425, then reduce the heat to 350 and bake for another 35-40 minutes.  Serve with vanilla ice cream!

Labels: