Make your own enchilada sauce

Ole!

When all is said and done, this recipe is not any cheaper than just buying the canned stuff, but I like that I could control what was in it.  I found this recipe at I was Born to Cook.  This recipe is great, but a bit spicier than stuff you find in the store.  If you prefer a mild flavor, reduce the chili powder.

Head's up, I have ZERO clue why some of this post is highlighted in white.  I've tried for 30 minutes to fix it.  Screw it.

For the sauce:
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies (do not drain)
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 garlic cloves, minced

Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. 

Life is short - live on the edge
Pour into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 5-7 minutes. 

I made a bunch of enchiladas for the freezer, and then poured the extra sauce in wide-mouth Mason jars and stored them in the freezer. 

I like Pioneer Woman's Enchiladas recipe.   I always use leftover pot roast from the crockpot, so that I'm getting more bang from my cooked meat buck.  There is a wonderful dirty joke in there somewhere...

Now, if you've enjoyed this post, and other's like it, consider coming over and cleaning this up:
Oy.

Labels: