Chicken and dumplings - delicious, nourshing, and slutty

Slutty?  You can also file this post under "how Sarah becomes the whore of the bacon store".

Jack has named our local butcher the "bacon store" because that is usually a big part of our order when we go there.  Jack adores bacon - he's a smart boy like that.  This weekend, Jack and I headed to the bacon store to get some chicken and bacon for future meals.

While we were there, Chad - whom I think is the son of the owner - was talking about making chicken and dumplings later this weekend; that it had been "requested" by someone.  I piped up with "ohhhhhh, I have a great chicken and dumplings recipe"!  I couldn't remember the measurements, so I wrote my email address down and noted "email for Sarah's dumplings" on it.  I handed it to him and he gave me a smile.

Jack and I loaded our stuff in the car, and when I put my hands on the wheel to start to pull back in to the flow of traffic - I saw it.  Or rather, the lack of it.  My wedding ring.  My hands have been so dry lately that taking my ring on and off has left my knuckle shredded, so I haven't worn it much this week.

Sooooo, if you're in Chad's shoes, a woman without a ring just offered you her personal email, wrote "email for Sarah's dumplings" on it.  While holding her toddler son in her arms.  So, not only am I a "dumpling" offering flirt, I'm also apparently in the market for a new babydaddy for my boy.

Oy.  I think it might be a few weeks before I head back to the bacon store.  With my ring on.  And Troy in tow.

Given that this recipe is SO good that I'm willing to offer my contact info to strangers, you should probably make this ASAP.  Just don't whore yourself around town while doing so.  And if you happen to make it for your spouse, perhaps reminding them that they're the only one in the world for you would be a good move.

Sarah's Chicken and Dumplings (it's kind of like Matzo Ball soup for gentiles)
Originally stolen from some other website, but I don't remember what it is

Homemade chicken stock
Chicken, uncooked (hell you can use frozen) or cooked
Sliced carrots, celery, and onions
Garlic
Salt & pepper to taste
Parsley, and lots of it!
A pinch of sage
Olive oil

I've made this in both my dutch oven (of course) and the large crockpot.  Both are delicious, but I love the taste of the veggies when they've been sauteed a little bit first.

In a heavy pan (perhaps a dutch oven if you will...), drizzle a generous amount of olive oil over sliced carrots and celery.  Saute for a bit until the veggies begin to soften just a little.  Add the onions, and cook for another 5 minutes.

Transfer to the crockpot at this point if you don't want to baby-sit the soup all day.

Cover the veggies with stock, and add the chicken if uncooked.  If using cooked chicken, add it in the last hour. If you're going to cook this all day, the frozen chicken will be done by time you serve this.  You'll likely get a white "scum" using this method, but it's so easy that I find myself doing it a lot.  I had cooked a whole chicken earlier in the day, so I used that shredded meat for this.  Side note: Jack does not like chicken or veggies in his chicken soup (yeah...toddlers), so I go light on the chicken when I'm making this for the whole family.  It's less stuff to "pick out" later.

If you're using the crockpot, this should be done after about 4 hours on high, or 6+ on low.

Now, for the dumplings:
2 cups of whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 tblsp butter, melted
3/4 cup of milk
fresh diced herbs to taste (optional)

Mix the dry ingredients together, add the wet ingredients, and stir until just combined.

If cooking this in a pot, bring the soup to a boil, drop spoonfuls of the biscuits in the soup, reduce to a simmer and leave the lid on for about 15 minutes.  Resist the urge to open the lid.

If making this in the crockpot, turn the crockpot to high for a few minutes.  Drop the dough in the crockpot, put the lid back on, and wait about 25 minutes.
When you first add the dough, it will sink to the bottom
Then, put the lid on, and they'll start to pop to the surface
Serve the delicious soup with a side of crusty bread* and shame.
*recipe coming tomorrow.

Labels: , ,