Sugary nuts. AKA how to "candy" walnuts

I'm interested in tracking internet traffic numbers based on the words "sugary nuts".  It is quite interesting what search terms bring people to my blog...

Making candied walnuts is stupidly easy.  You'll kick yourself once you find out how simple it has been this whole time.  And then you'll kick yourself harder if you've ever shelled out (ha ha) money to buy them pre-candied.

So, take a non-stick frying pan, add nuts of choice, and sprinkle some sugar over them.  I use organic evaporated cane juice (Costco) and probably used about 1/4 cup.  I don't like my nuts too sweet...(that's what she said).
Put the frying pan over medium heat, and stir once or twice.  Then wait.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait some more.

Eventually, you'll see the sugar melting and starting to caramelize.  Check out the middle of this photo to see what I mean.
Then give it another few stirs until all the sugar is melted.  Pour the candied nuts on a piece of waxed paper.  You don't want to use paper towels.  You don't want to ask me how I know that.
Store them in an air tight container, and they'll keep for a few weeks.  I use these in my favorite salad - spinach with pears, gorgonzola, candied nuts, and a lovely dressing.

Commence the kicking of yourself.

Labels: