Fried rice

Fried rice is one of my absolute favorite comfort foods.   When we lived in Los Angeles for 4 years, I would look forward to coming home to Washington to get some of my favorite fried rice.  Oddly enough, the west side of Los Angeles didn't have any good Chinese food (it was all in the valley).

I saw this recipe the other day and thought I should give it a try.  It was delicious!  Not exactly what my favorite restaurant rice tastes like, but we all enjoyed it a lot.

Fried Rice Recipe
Ingredients:
12 oz. overnight rice
4 oz. chicken breast (cut into cubes) (I used some smoked pork we had in the freezer)
4 oz. shrimp (cleaned and deveined) (I didn't include)
2 oz. long beans (tips removed and chopped into very short pieces) (I used frozen peas)
2 oz. carrots (cut into tiny cubes) (I also did green onion and diced celery)
2 eggs (beaten)
2-inch ginger (peeled and cut into thin long strips) (I used a lot less.  I don't love ginger)
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon oyster sauce
2 tablespoon cooking oil
3 dashes white pepper powder (I used normal black pepper)
Salt to taste (optional)

Method: 
Quick note about seasoning a wok.  You might notice in these photos that I clearly don't know how to properly do it.  So yeah... 

Heat up a wok with two tablespoons of oil. Add ginger strips and fry until aromatic.
Follow with meat and veggies. Stir fry until they are half cooked.
The meat I used was already cooked, so I didn't add it at this point
Add in the overnight rice and stir well with the ingredients.  I ended up using white rice because I used all my brown rice in making rice bags.  I then bought cheap white rice to fill the bags, and well, that's all I had in the cupboard.
Add soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, white pepper powder and continue to stir the fried rice for a couple of minutes.
Make a “well” in the middle of the fried rice and pour the beaten eggs in the well.
Notice how the bottom of the wok is getting more and more burnt?  Go me!
Wait for 30 seconds and then cover the “egg well” with the fried rice. Leave it for 30 seconds and continue to stir-fry so the eggs form small pieces and mix well with the fried rice.
 Yum

Labels: , , ,