Peppermint bark - it doesn't get any easier than this!

I am obsessed with peppermint bark.  It's so creamy and indulgent and heralds the start of the holiday baking season.  If you need a last minute (sweet) appetizer or dessert for your holiday dinner this weekend, look no further.  This is delicious and simple.  The monkey that taught me to sew gave me this recipe.

Also, since you're already melting the chocolate, why not make some chocolate covered graham crackers?  I made these for Jack's preschool teachers as a Christmas present/thanks for putting up with my crazy punk.

My homemade graham cracker recipe is here.  I've recently discovered Bob's Red Mill Graham flour, and use some of that with normal whole wheat pastry flour when making these.  I leave out the wheat germ.

In a double boiler over lowish heat, melt dark or semi sweet chocolate.  I used the big 1 pound bar from Trader Joes.
Once it has melted, add a splash of peppermint extract, and pour it over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Place the baking sheet in the freezer for about 15 minutes.

While the dark chocolate is in the freezer, clean the double boiler and add in 1.5 bags of white chocolate chips. 
White chocolate is a finicky item to melt.  You don't want to stir it constantly, lest it becomes a pasty lump.  Wait until the chocolate is shiny, and then give it a few gentle stirs.
Pour it over the dark chocolate that has been frozen.
Sprinkle with crushed candy canes, and pop it back in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
Peppermint bark is beautiful if you spend the time to cut it in to chunks.  I don't really care about pretty - if it tastes good, it's ok by me.  I just break it with my hands and call it done.
Pin It

Labels: ,