Jell ooooooo? Who's there?

It's me, Sarah!  Hello. Jello.
This homemade Jello is fool proof.  Cheap, and healthy to boot.  And did I mention sugar-free?!?  So you know, right up my alley.

I have a friend who will remain nameless for the purpose of protecting her identity.  This friend is a great cook, but cannot make Jell-o; can't do it!  I'm not judging because for the longest time I could not make rice.  Not even in a rice cooker.  Seriously.

But my friend can make this Jello.  Fingers crossed.

For full disclosure, I've had this recipe in my stockpile for over a year and cannot for the life of me remember which website I found it on.   So while I didn't create this, I can't also give proper credit to the person who did.  My bad.

Stolen Jell-o
4 cups of fruit juice or fruit nectar (I used a berry blend juice from Trader Joes)
2-3 tblsp of unflavored gelatin
6 tblsp warm water
1/4 cup honey
1-2 cups of fresh or frozen fruit (I used frozen raspberries that I had on hand)

In a medium bowl, dissolve the gelatin in the 6 tblsp of water.  Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of juice and the honey to a boil.  Remove from heat, and add to the dissolved gelatin. Whisk for 1-2 minutes.  Then add the other 2 cups of juice.  Whisk again.
In-focus photos is sooooo 2011.  Blurry is all the rage in 2012!
In a baking pan, add your fruit of choice.  That's ice around the raspberries.
Pour the juice/gelatin mixture over the fruit.  Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Enjoy!  Boy oh boy, this is delicious!

Cost
-I bought the gelatin through Azure Standard, and probably used about $.15 worth of it for this recipe
-Juice was $3, and I used about $2.25 worth
-Raw honey I buy for $10 for a quart jar, and I would guess I used about $.30 worth
-Raspberries I already had in the freezer and picked them somewhere last summer, so they were free baby!

Total for this - let's say about $2.70.  More expensive than buying an actual box of Jell-o, but free of additives, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial coloring (have you ever seen a blue raspberry in nature?).  This would be way cheaper if you just use juice that you have on hand instead of buying specialty juice like I did.

Bon appetit!

I've shared this over at Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Real Food Wednesdays, and Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways.
Pin It

Labels: , , ,