Screw New Year's resolutions. Let's make donuts

I have a friend.  Let's call her Anne.  Anne is one of Jack's godmothers, and one of the best people you don't know.  She lives in Denver.  Too far from Washington.  She is also a tricky little vixen and loves to send random presents that she thinks will make you smile.

We have a weekly date where we stream Biggest Loser while working out and texting.  It's pretty much my favorite night of the week.  A few months ago, during our date, I get a text from Anne who was giggling (via text).  Turns out she was surfing my Amazon wishlist for a Christmas present for Jack, and saw that I had a donut pan on there.  Two days later, a donut pan appeared on my front porch, and the quest for the perfect donut has alluded me ever since.

The journey ends today my friends.
The recipe is from Tasty Kitchen, but adapted to my preferences/tastes.  Please don't fool yourself in to thinking that these taste like the fried donuts you find at a bakery - they're not.  They're delicious cake donuts that will put a smile on your face.


Baked Apple Cider Donuts
For donuts
3 tblsp sugar
1 cup of flour (I used King Arthur bread flour)
1 cup of whole wheat (I used whole wheat pastry flour from freshly ground soft white wheat berries)
1.5 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 TBLSP vital wheat gluten
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 egg
2/3 cup brown sugar (try homemade)
1/2 cup applesauce (I used homemade)
1/3 cup pure maple syrup ("pancake" syrup is NOT pure maple syrup)
1/3 cup apple juice (I used homemade)
1/3 cup yogurt (I used homemade)
3 tblsp vegetable oil (I used coconut oil, melted)
1 tsp vanilla (try homemade)

Topping
1/2 cup sugar (I used organic evaporated cane juice from Costco)
2 tsp cinnamon
6 tblsp butter

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Brush the donut pan with melted butter and sprinkle a little of sugar (evaporated cane juice) over the butter.
In a bowl, mix together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
In a separate bowl, mix together brown sugar, applesauce, maple syrup, apple cider, yogurt, egg, and coconut oil.
Least appetizing photo ever
Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just combined.
Divide the batter into the donut pan, filling the cavities only halfway.  Bake for 13 minutes.
While the donuts are in the oven, mix 1/2 cup sugar and the 2 tsp cinnamon in a Ziploc bag.  Shake a few times to combine.

When the donuts come out of the oven, brush both sides with melted butter.
Put 2 donuts at a time in the Ziploc, seal, and shake.
 Should there actually be any leftover, store in an air-tight container
Pin It

Labels: , ,