DIY insulated curtains

Please keep in mind that I am a total novice when it comes to sewing, so if I can make these curtains- you can make these curtains.

There is a small window off of our kitchen that faces southwest and lets in so much sun during the summer.  It's also above the 52 degree garage, and during the winter it lets out a lot of heat during the winter.  The window is covered with some dingy metal mini blinds, and I had my sights set on insulated curtains for that window.  Because the window is so small, I didn't want to spend money on new curtains.

We had two sets of old ugly/boring curtains from our last apartment.  One set was a plain brown panel, and the other set was a beige.  Just looking at them put me to sleep.
I found some "sassier" fabric that I loved for 30% off at JoAnn's, and then I had a 20% total purchase coupon.  My "fun" fabric cost me $4.61.  I cut the fabric to fit the size of the window, and then cut it in half vertically.  Then I made a 1/4 inch seam on the sides (long part) of each panel.

After measuring the the top and bottom of the panels, I cut four three inch wide strips from my ugly brown curtain, and then pinned them for a 1/4 inch seam.  Then I sewed the seam.
I pinned the "pretty sides" of the fabric together, and made a 1/4 inch seam to connect the brown strips to the top and bottom of my fun fabric.


At this point I stopped taking pictures because I was trying to beat the clock of Jack's nap time.  Then I cut and sewed the old insulated curtains on to the back of the new panel.

We used the curtain rings we had for the old set of curtains, and then Troy hung a small bar up that I got on clearance at Joann's.  These curtains have made a big difference in terms of heat loss.  I'm looking forward to their heat blocking tendencies during the summer!

In hindsight, I would have made each panel about 2 inches wider.  Also, I would have never cut bangs my junior year of high school.

Labels: