Don't beet yourself up over roasting beets. It's easier than you think.

Seeing, tasting, or even touching beets instantly brings my Nana to mind.  She grew a big garden each summer and canned pickled beets by the quart.  I love pickled beets, but haven't had them since she passed away in 1994.  It was kind of "our" thing, and simply buying some at the store won't create the same connection.

But roasted beets?  Roasted beets are something just "mine" since, you know, no one else in the family enjoys them.

Last week I posted in my meal plan that I was serving roasted beets.  My friend Anne asked how I can roast beets without getting my hands all pink and "beety"?  I told her I'd take some photos and send them to her.  She said it wasn't necessary, but knowing Anne as I do, she really meant "Sarah, pretty pretty please take photos of how you roast beets.  Then please post them on your blog.  And also, you look super pretty today".  Oh Anne.  I know you too well.

Sarah's "Anne twisted my arm" roasted beet recipe
Beets (however many you wish to roast)
Olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Place your cast iron skillet (have a rusty one?  Clean it up) in while it's preheating.  You could also use any oven safe dish or dutch oven, but cast iron is my personal preference.

2) Cut the stems, and root off (if you want.  Sometimes I roast with the roots on when I'm feeling crazy) of your beets.  Some people eat the beet tops, but we're not a greens loving family.  I put them in the compost.  Least I'm honest ya'll.  Using a vegetable brush, or scrubby pad, scrub the ever-loving snot out of the outside of the beet.

3) Place the beets in the hot skillet, and drizzle olive oil over them (I probably use about 1/8 of a cup for 3 beets).  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4) Roast for 15-20 minutes, and then flip/rotate and continue to roast until you can easily pierce the biggest beet with the tip of a knife.

5) Using a fork, prop the beet up, butt-side down.  Taking a paring knife, slice the skin of the beet downward.

Roasted beets take on the texture of what I imagine an elderly man's ba...oh never mind.
The splash of orange in the back of this photo?  That would be this awesome orange t-shirt I bought at Goodwill for $.25 back in 1997. It has a cartoon tiger on it and says "tigers" (creative, right?).  It's my favorite shirt and I will mourn it's loss when it finally gives up the ghost.
6) Continue until the beet is "skinned".  Then flip it on its side and then slice off the bottom/beet butt. 

7) Eat them alone.  Because everyone around you hates beets.  Or come to my house.  I'll make you some beets and we can eat them together.  And just generally be AWESOME!  You can't beet an offer like that...
Pin It

Labels: , ,