Sign up to receive my posts in your inbox. Daily fart jokes abound!

Thursday, March 29, 2012

How to build a "super" raspberry support system

Before we get started on how we built a raspberry patch at home, I need a huge favor.  I need you all to send this post to 5+ friends or family members.  Troy said if I put these photos on my blog, that I need to "keep his bulge out of the frame, and this better get like 3,000 page views".  I've never gotten more than 2,000 page views, so I really need your help!   Because as my friend Angela said when she saw the pictures "that right there is a real man".  Troy needs the praise and page views for being so ballsy by letting me put these pictures up.  That's what she said.

I came home from Lowes last Saturday morning to find Troy and Jack in Superman costumes.  For the record, it wasn't known to me that my husband of almost eight years owned said Superman costume.  I immediately directed them outside to the front yard with camera in hand, and demanded they build my raspberry supports.  Right then and there.  In costume.  I'm nice like that.


So, here is how our family builds raspberry supports.  In style.

You'll need
Two 2x4x8s (weather treated, or painted)
One untreated 2x4x8
8 eyebolt thingys (Troy assures me those are real words)
2 bags of pea gravel
Wire
4 Nails
Drill
Hammer
Saw of some kind

Saw the untreated 2x4x8 into four pieces.  Two of the pieces should be longer than the other two.

At the top of one of the treated 2x4x8, hammer two nails to connect one of the larger untreated pieces on to the top of the treated piece.  Add the shorter untreated piece about 2-3 feet below that.  Repeat for both treated 2x4x8s.

Check for quality control.
Using a power drill,  drill 8 total holes in to the untreated pieces of wood.
Insert the eye bolts in to the holes that were just drilled.

Preparing the site for installation

Using a post hold digger thing, dig a deep hole.  At least 18-24 inches deep if possible.
Such a terrible picture!
Put the post in the hole.
Look around for an extra pair of hands.  Where did your helpers go?  Oh right...


Steady the post with one hand, and while trying not to give yourself a hernia, fill the hole with pea gravel.  Give it a good shake to help it settle, then add more pea gravel.  Repeat with the other post.
Dig your holes for your berry plants, add compost, then the plants, then fill the holes with compost.  Water, and then cover with the mulch of your choice.  This is easiest done using your child's wagon that he just received as a birthday gift from his Auntie Anne.
Voila.  We'll string the wire once the berry canes add a bit of growth.  The wires will be used to support the canes as they continue their upward growth.
And here is a random picture of one of the wild peacocks that lives on our street.
So, again, please forward this post to at least 5 friends.  Get Troy his page views!  Don't let his public humiliation go to waste!

Total cost for this project - $43.40 (that includes 4 bags of compost even though I only used 1 in this bed).  I tried for months on get free lumber on Freecycle, but I couldn't find a darn tootin thing that was being given away.  The raspberry bushes were free from my aunt and uncle from thinning their current patch.  The cost of organic raspberries at the market?  At least $4 per pint.  So assuming we can get 11 pints out of this in the next 1-2 years, our break even point will be under 24 months.

Shared at: It's a Keeper Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, and Frugal Fridays.

Pin It

22 comments:

  1. Suddenly my raspberry supports built by a hubby in carhartts don't seem so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno... Hubbys in Carhartt's are pretty good to look at... I know... mine lives in his, and I enjoy looking lol

      Delete
    2. I agree, Hubby's in Carhartt's =*joy*
      Although, I only get to see mine in his when he is at work ~or~ if we have 2 feet of snow on the ground . . .

      Delete
  2. Hi Sarah! Hope you don't mind that I pinned this on my Pinterest board. Was the fastest way I could think of to help Troy get his 2,000 pages! :) -kat (an avid lurker)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for doing that - I don't mind at all!

      And I love lurkers. Welcome to the land of "named" lurkers! ;-D

      Delete
  3. That's one very cool husband you have there! Great blog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true on the husband! And thanks on the blog!

      Delete
  4. Mommy get off the computer and feed me :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have a missed a joke somewhere...

      Delete
  5. Thats the stuff of real men, and fantastic dads! Love it! I am a new fan of your blog too, thank you for all the great info! My 'doom room' is now renamed the zombie zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but I love "doom room"! How clever!

      Delete
  6. Great post . . . love the super hero outfits. ;) You must get a ton raspberries. I have a sad little bush that gets a bunch, but I need more to freeze for the winter months. Thanks for the ide-er. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is our very first year growing them, so only time will tell. Fingers crossed it is a lot because my little guy is a fruitatarian! Organic raspberries aren't in my grocery budget, so I'm hopeful we'll get a few from this bed!

      Delete
    2. From experience, they may not be awesome this year (still getting established), but next year will rock!

      Delete
  7. Coming from Simple Lives Thursday! I love your raspberry patch!We are slowly building our urban garden - I just put in a strawberry patch and am looking to add to our raspberry patch (We had 3 canes last year and bought another 4 bare roots to add this year!)

    Very inspiring to see what other people are doing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did your 3 canes perform? We have 6 and I have really really high hopes for actual fruit this year!

      I just transplanted all our strawberries in to a different bed from last year. Fingers triple crossed both our gardens produce this year!

      Delete
  8. Love to see men in tights with power tools. This is the kind of stuff that makes great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pics are all awesome! :) (especially the first three, but they are all good) Hope your fruit all produces well! I'm a newcomer to your blog (don't remember how I found it; might've been a link off Pinterest), but have really been enjoying it so far, especially the gardening posts. Y'all take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's all about the Supermen who built it! I'm sure your rasberries are awesome! Thanks for sharing! I sent the post to my son who was the King of Costumes growing up and I had the fun of creating the costumes he thought up. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh... you mean you're supposed to try and restrain those stickery thingies? I planted a some in pots a few years ago, and thanks to the birds, etc., eating the berries and causing the seeds to travel, I've got raspberries springing up in all sorts of weird places!

    (Nice to see your Superguys put shoes on before working with power tools!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, now i truly have to admit... I desperately DO need to get myself a hubby somewhere.... (been single for 3 years now and though it was good to learn to be happily alone, i have seen the end of it (is that correct English? Im Dutch). And also, last but not least... garden-season is coming up! HAHA.
    Love your blog!
    Ive had 2 berries for 2 years now, first year in the lawn (whoever thought this was a good idea...??) and last year in pots, bit sad they are. So this year I want to give them a proper place where they can stay and happily grow me some nice fruits. Also I really need to make some good supports for not only these guys, but also for my 58171871 beans. I am not looking forward to do so, hubby-less as I am, but thanks to this blog, and also the amazing pictures (hehe), I feel "I can do this!" (Super-Woman-modus is ON). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this! I was looking for raspberry supports but got so much more! 1: I totally love that they built in costume! & 2: I could absolutely imagine coming home to find my son and husband in costume like this!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me more excited than Jessie Spano on caffeine pills!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...