Sign up to receive my posts in your inbox. Daily fart jokes abound!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lazy lady's skillet potatoes

So, I love these potatoes for multiple reasons.  But the top reason?  You cook them in a cast iron skillet which means you don't have to wash an extra dish.  I would live my life in cast iron to cut down on dishes.  Cast iron pants?  Cast iron shoes?  Yes please.

This side dish is stupidly easy, and comes together wickedly fast.

And you don't have to wash the dish.  Did I mention that already?

Skillet Spuds
-Potatoes (duh) - however many you'd like.  Organic if possible
-1 tsp of dried parsley
-salt and pepper to taste
-1/8 tsp dried dill
-6 (yes 6) cloves of garlic
-2 tblsp olive oil, plus a bit more to coat the skillet
-1/4 tsp dried chives
-sprinkle of smoked paprika (less than 1/8 tsp.  Literally, just a sprinkle)

1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Put your cast iron skillet in the oven while preheating.

2) I cut the potatoes and garlic up on the weekend to make dinner a faster affair during the week.  

3) In your tub, or a mixing bowl, add the spices and 2 tblsp of olive oil.  If using a lidded container, put the lid on and shake (told you these were lazy potatoes).  If using a mixing bowl, mix with a spoon.


4) When the oven is hot, carefully remove the skillet and drizzle a little olive oil on the pan.  Swirl to coat the bottom.  Add the spuds, give them a stir, and then put them back in the oven for 11 minutes.

5) At 11 minutes, give them a stir, and put them back in for another 10-15 depending on how crispy you prefer them.  You can also blast them with a broiler for the last minute or two to get them really crispy!
Some asparagus I had roasted the night before was hitching a ride in the last 5 minutes to heat up.
6) Serve with your favorite main dish.  Foolishly say "yes" when your 3 year old asks if HE can put the ketchup on YOUR plate.

Rookie mistake.
Pin It

21 comments:

  1. Oooh, those look delicious! And easy! Totally going to make them this week! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! Do you want me to send Jack over to put ketchup on yours?

      Delete
  2. Wouldn't the skillet handle melt in the oven?
    Why not use a glass baking dish for this recipe?
    Looks really good though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cast iron pans are one solid piece of iron, including the handle.

      Delete
    2. HI Jonathan, Miranda is right - cast iron can go in the oven. Heck, it's what camper use over open fire! The reason I don't use glass is because it doesn't give the potatoes a crispy crust, and I'd have to wash the dish. With cast iron, you just wipe it out after the food is cooked.

      You might enjoy this post which talks about why cast iron is so great, and how to season your own from a thrift store find: http://beingfrugalbychoice.blogspot.com/2012/01/rescuing-kitchen-workhorse-aka-how-to.html

      Delete
  3. Those look so good! My grandmother used to do hers by slicing the potatoes chip thin. She'd add in chopped onion, butter, salt and pepper. Then she'd coat her warmed pan with oil and butter, press the potatoes in and cook over medium low heat for what seemed like hours, but was more likely a half hour or so, covered. Once cooked through, she would toss a quarter cup of cheese on top and broil for a few minutes. I like the simplicity, but yours would be perfect for when I want to get a little fancy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm giggling that you're calling my lazy lady potatoes fancy. HA!

      Your grandma's version sounds super yummers! The cheese is what really sells it for me. ;-D

      Delete
  4. I just made roasted potatoes the other night...on a baking pan though! I have a cast iron skillet but have never used it! (I know you are jumping up and down yelling at your computer, "Why not you crazy biatch!") LOL! I have just never gotten it out to try. I WILL now though! Just because you gave a recipe to do so! I'll let you know how it works out! ;) Thanks!!!! I guess I have been trying lots of new stuff lately because of you! Wow, you are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'm not calling you a crazy biatch. YET. Use that cast iron or I'll say it soon!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE potatoes like this! I usually use my baking pan that I normally use for Lasagne... I can't believe I never thought to use my cast iron skillet! I used to use my skillet all the time but now only use it for camping because we have a glass cooktop on my stove... TOTALLY going to find a reason to make taters now so I can use my skillet in the oven! My taters will be so crispy, just the way I love them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't you use your cast iron on the stove? We have a glass top stove in our rental, and I've been using my skillets on it for year. Uh oh, did I miss something?

      Delete
  6. Mmm looks yummy. I always have a problem with my skillet potatoes turning out not crispy enough. Also, I wanted to thank you for craft-tacular's contact info& the heads up on her free blog redo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fitting that I just got off my lazy A this morning and reseasoned my cast iron pan. Great way to use the random sweet potato I just found!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How old is this sweet potato? I fear for Parker.

      Delete
  8. I like the idea of broiling at the end. I should try it next time. I can't ever get them crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soak your potatoes in cold water when you're chopping them, and they won't start turning brownish gray like in the top photo.

    Meanwhile, this sounds delicious! I just got a cast iron skillet for camping, and I've been waiting for the right recipe to break it in. This one is definitely it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long do you soak them before storing them?

      Make sure you season your skillet once or twice before using it!

      Delete
  10. This post is awesome. I am feeling the ketchup pain. I have a four year old charming son who insists on ketchup ing every thing on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pinned these to Pinterest forever ago, but never got around to trying them. I've been in a cooking rut (pregnancy hormones making food a little less than appetizing) so I was looking through my boards and these potatoes jumped out at me. Made them last night for me and the Hubbs, amazing! Such a hit with both of us. I did add a cut up purple onion and instead of individual seasonings, I just dumped a bunch of McCormicks Steak seasoning, spicy and delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me more excited than Jessie Spano on caffeine pills!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...