Sign up to receive my posts in your inbox. Daily fart jokes abound!

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Let the gluten-free games begin!

Or rather grain-free depending on how you're approaching this challenge.  We're not being sticklers for gluten say in like sauces, etc., but rather cutting most grains out of our diets until August 15th.  This will be more like a Paleo month for us.  One caveat is that we're going camping this week and I can't find gluten-free graham crackers, and my attempt to make some were a colossal failure.  We might end up eating conventional grahams because we honestly haven't had two family days back to back since 2010 and dammit, we want s'mores!  If we end up eating conventional ones, I'll add two extra days to our personal family challenge.

Ok, I mentioned potential prizes for people participating in this challenge.  The two companies I contacted never got back to me (lame), so I'll pony up your choice of prizes using Amazon giftcards I've earned using Swagbucks.  There are two prizes up for grabs:

1) Either two lucky readers will win one copy each of my favorite cookbook The Homemade Pantry

OR

2) You can choose one of Jack's favorite books for your family story time, Press Here.

Both are great choices, but all too often I think that as parents, we don't do enough nice things for ourselves.  With that, I hope all both winners will choose the cookbook.  

To be considered for the prizes, here are the rules:

1) Leave your name and a way to contact you in the comments below.  If you don't have a Google account, you can still comment as "Anonymous" but please leave your first name and an email address so that I can contact you.  If you don't want your info left in the comments, email me.  Your names will be entered at the end of my list.  Winners will be drawn on August 16th using random.org.

2) Do the challenge with us, even if it's tailored a bit to your family needs.

Are you ready?  We are.  I think!  I'll be bringing you some fun recipes and "before" pictures throughout the next month.

18 comments:

  1. Melissa at melissalyson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck! I love smokes on a camp out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna
    Jmbhamilton (at) msn (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in! I will be doing more of a Paleo diet. My husband and I ate Paleo for a few months and I felt great. Now I feel like a fat blob since I stopped. Since he has been sick there are some nights where a grilled cheese is all I can manage to cook. Not anymore! This will give me a kick in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. was looking around some gluten-free/paleo friendly cooking blogs, and found this recipe for graham crackers...not sure if you've seen it before, or if it's what you're looking for, but figured i would share...

    http://eatthecookie.wordpress.com/2010/07/25/honey-graham-crackers/

    best of luck in your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm in too! i've been eating a bit of bread lately and have been suffering... it's a pity gf bread tastes so crappy :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why not?? Krista- Kwitzalynn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally doing this on the sly... I mentioned gluten free to my 10 year-old a couple of weeks ago and he had a nervous breakdown. So let's see if I can manage a month with the hubby and 3 boys not noticing

      Delete
  8. Ok I'm in. I need to make some diet changes and this will definitely be one.

    nsusanroberts@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in. I made a Paleo chocolate cake with marshmallow frosting last night.... yum.
    scchandler24@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I buy these at Whole Foods, they're good! http://www.amazon.com/Kinnikinnick-Cracker-Smoreable-Grhm-8-Ounce/dp/B001SATW46

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in! Time to trim in the waistline a bit!

    berendslisa at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to attempt this, but working at the best Italian restaurant in the whole world (Amicci's in Baltimore) I fear I am staring failure in the fusilli. Jpbaker@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to join you! I just recently found your blog and have been enjoying reading it. I have been thinking of trying gluten free for me and my kids, so this is a great chance to start! I will PM my email, since I do not want it on a public forum.

    Thanks!

    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just posting to say that I really enjoy your blog! My husband and I've been Paleo since Sept (so I don't think I really qualify for your contest!). I feel so much better than I ever have in my life - and I dropped 20 lbs to boot!! I still have moments where I want something carb-heavy, but the past couple times I've given in and splurged I felt so crappy afterwards that I'm getting to the point the I know it's just not worth it. Good luck and I hope you had a great trip! Keep up the fun posts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOuld love to win the cookbook. Have been eating gluten free since Dec 2011 and I'm in a rut. It will be great to get some new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's going to be tough. But I'm in! SavingCountess@yahoo.com :}

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me more excited than Jessie Spano on caffeine pills!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...