Good things DO come from exercise - blackberry crisp

No matter how many times I type "crisp", I keep writing "crispy".  I'm going to rename this blackberry crispy to keep myself from looking like an idiot.

Troy has occasionally been jogging with Jack in the stroller (that Jack no longer fits in, but it doesn't seem to bother anyone involved), and they have a blast together.  Troy gets company and motivation ("go faster Poppy"!  "I am going fast Jack".  Then Jack gives him a look that pretty much means "yeah right, move it fatty".), and Jack gets out of the house and 1on1 time with Poppy.  I get a quiet house, if only for a little bit.

Last week Troy and Jack went running and found the haul to end all hauls - a dead end street with no traffic and GOBS of blackberry bushes.  Blackberries are the official weed of Western Washington, and they're some damn tasty weeds.  I always snicker at how much blackberries are at the grocery store because they grow EVERYWHERE around here.  For free.

Jack and I headed there early on Friday morning (before it got hot.  We're a pasty people and need to avoid the sun at all costs) and got to picking.  Well, I got to picking, and Jack got to eating.
Don't think that he's putting that blackberry IN the bucket; he's taking the last of the two in there OUT.
After about 4 minutes, he sat in the wagon and decided to "supervise".  "There is a blackberry mommy.  Over there.  Pick that one.  You're doing great mommy".  So helpful that one.  In less than 20 minutes, I had a 10 pound bucket full of free "organic" blackberries. 

I headed home and did some searching on the interwebs, and found these bars that looked delicious.  But with 3.5 cups of sugar, and gobs of flour (remember, we're gluten-free this month), they needed a remodel.  Oh, and I decided to make it in to a crispy crisp instead of bars.

Oh, and while I was reviewing the photos on my camera I had taken thus far, I realized that I had forgotten to add the brown sugar to the topping.  Then I realized I was out of homemade brown sugar.  I cleaned out the kitchen aid bowl, make some brown sugar, then scraped as much of the topping off of the crisp that I could, and remixed it with the brown sugar.

Cause I'm AWESOME.

So just picture the crispy topping in the photos as darker.  And um, sugarier.

Healthier and gluten-free Blackberry Crispy
Inspired by Joy the Baker

Topping
2.5 cups of oatmeal
1/2 cups of coconut flour
3 tblsp powdered milk
Pinch of cinnamon
1/4 cup of honey (raw and local if you can find it!)
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cups of butter, cut in to chunks

Filling
6 cups of blackberries, or other fruit of choice
3 tblsp cornstarch (organic if you can find it)
dash of homemade vanilla
4 eggs
1 cup of greek yogurt
pinch of salt
1/3 cup of honey

1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 pan.

2) In a stand mixer (or using a pastry cutter), mix the oats, coconut flour, brown sugar, powdered milk, cinnamon, and cut it with the chunks of butter.  Process until the butter is incorporated and the mixture is nice and crumbly.

3) In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and cornstarch together; mixing REALLY well.


Add the vanilla, yogurt, salt, and honey; stir well.


Gently mix in the blackberries.

4) Pour the mixture in to the greased pan, and top with the crumbly topping.

5) Bake for 50 minutes, and then cool for at least an hour.
Scoop a small amount of the finished crisp in to a bowl, and top with whipped cream or ice cream.  Then, take that small bowl, set it aside, and eat the rest straight from the pan.

You're not getting any judgement from me.  After all, I'm the idiot who called this a "crispy".
Pin It

Labels: ,