Wants vs. Needs

I hate my fridge.  It's like pretty much the worst fridge ever.
It looks like an old Soviet-style apartment
It was also free.  And it works.  But I don't love it, and I wish it would magically disappear because then it would give me an excuse to get a new one.

That's the rub, isn't it?  We always want something better, shinier, or new, even when we may not necessarily need it.

In my mind, if I had a new fridge, meal prep would be easier.  Right now, it's a horrible game of Tetris to get anything in this dumb appliance.  Things get lost so easily, and nothing fits properly.
The fridge I lust after is a French door stainless steel Kenmore beauty from Sears.  It is energy efficient, has tons of space for keeping produce fresh, and I don't have to take 429 things out first in order to get to the applesauce.

It also costs $1,600. 

So that's that.  The old fridge stays.  And I make it work.  And I curse at it daily, and plan for it's demise.  We all have to make big choices in life, and spending $1,600 on Jack's tonsil surgery wins out over a new fridge any day.

Delaying the purchase of something you merely want, allows you to:
1) bulk up your emergency fund.  I've tried to convince myself that a new fridge is an emergency.  Sadly, it's not.
2) Stay out of consumer debt
3) Save for a house
4) Pay medical bills (grrrrr)
5) Pay down debt
6) Throw extra payments at your car or mortgage debt

I'm not dropping any bombs here - everyone knows that replacing something that works with something better isn't the smartest financial decision you could make.

However, the actual intent of my post isn't a financial lecture.  I wanted to give YOU a chance to confess your own improbable, impractical, and ridiculous monetary desires.  Let's get crazy!  Flame free confession time!