Homemade granola bars. With chocolate chips. And unicorn spit

I flipping love granola bars.  They're delicious, filling, and a great snack.

Also expensive.

Also covered in wrapping that is disposable.

Also, mostly come with delicious chemical ingredients.

Blerg.

I found this recipe recently, and have made it many times.  I've tweaked it a tiny bit it make it more "shelf stable" by baking it instead of just refrigerating it.

Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
Loosely adapted from Practical Stewardship
1 cup natural peanut butter (I've tried it with almond butter, and frankly it's not as good)
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup chopped pecans or nuts of choice
1 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I get mine at Costco)

1)  Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
2)  In a large microwave-proof container (I use this one and love it), melt the coconut oil until it yields 1/2 cup liquid.  Add the peanut butter, honey, and maple syrup, and microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir to combine.

3)  Add the oatmeal, pecans, and coconut flakes.  Stir to combine.  Add the chocolate chips, and stir to combine.

4)  Lightly grease a 9x13 glass pan (I use coconut oil to grease it) and press the mixture in using the back of a large metal spoon.  Or, use your hand and hate yourself for not listening to me because your hand is going to be crazy messy.  So, use a spoon, or be a giant tool.  The choice is yours.
 5)  Bake for 30 minutes.  Remove from the oven and bring to room temperature.  Then refrigerate for at least four hours.
6)  Cut in to small squares.  SMALL being the key word here.  These are nutrient and calorie dense and you only need a small serving.  Trust.

Eat these as a snack, or rock your mind and your taste buds and crumble it over the top of fresh fruit and Greek yogurt.  Holler!

I'm gonna guess these will last for at least two weeks in the fridge, but we've never tested that theory.  I've been making a batch every one ish weeks!

I've shared this over at Brambleberry Cottage, Fresh Food Wednesday, Homestead Barn Hop, From the Farm, and The Homesteaders Blog Hop.

Pin It

Labels: