Yo Momma's Quiche

Actually, I guess that would be my momma's quiche.

Growing up my mom would make this occasionally, but would used canned mushrooms (BARF) and canned ham.  She would also make one at a time, which in all honesty is the suckah's way to cook.  If a recipe requires me to take out a freaking rolling pin, I'm making more than just one.  One for the next night, and at least two for the freezer.  I purchase Corning Ware and glass pie plates from Goodwill so that I can make multiple dishes at a time.  Why pay the same amount for aluminum disposable tins, when you can get endless use out of something else?

Yo Momma's Quiche
This recipe makes one quiche, but it is so easy to double or triple
Pie Crust (this is my absolute favorite recipe, but use all butter instead of the called for shortening)
4 eggs
2 tblsp all-purpose flour
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup diced ham
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 slices of Swiss cheese

1) The pie crust recipe makes an enormous amount of crust, so when I make a batch, I roll it in to balls and cover it with plastic wrap.  I place each wrapped ball (hee hee) on a plate, and freeze them completely.  After frozen, I transfer them to a freezer-proof Ziploc so that I always have pie dough ready for use.
Look at the chunks of butter in there.  That gives me a food boner.
Let the balls thaw overnight in the fridge, and then at room temperature for a few hours.  Liberally flour your work surface and roll the dough out until it fits your desired pie plate.  I am not someone who can make pretty pie crust; it just ain't happening. If you're someone who likes to make beautiful designs and cut outs for your crusts, I applaud you.  I'd then invite you to wrap my Christmas presents for me, because that is also an "area of concern".

2) In the bottom of each crust, place two slices of Swiss cheese.  Yeah, the photo below doesn't show Swiss cheese because stupid me forgot to buy some.  Just picture this cheese, but with holes in it.

3) In a bowl, mix the flour, eggs, and half and half until very well combined.  The flour will never completely mix in, and that is ok, but eliminate any large chunks that you see.  For this recipe, I don't use whole wheat flour because it is so chunky.

4) Pour the egg mixture over the Swiss cheese.

5) Top with diced ham.  If you'd like to add veggies, now would be the time to do it.  Avoid watery vegetables like zucchini, unless you grill prior to adding.

6) Top with your cheddar cheese.

7) Heat the oven to 350 degrees, and place the quiche on the middle racks.  Place a sheet of foil lightly over the top of the quiche, and bake for 20 minutes.  Remove the foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes.

8) If you're going to eat it that evening, let it cool for 10 minutes prior to cutting.  If you're saving it for another day, refrigerate to cool and cover tightly with foil.  If you're saving it for a day much further in the future, let it freeze completely prior to covering with foil and then store in a 1.5 gallon Ziploc bag (kinda hard to find, but totally worth the hunt).  To reheat, let it thaw overnight in the fridge, and then reheat at 350 degrees until warmed through, or about 15 minutes.

Now, if you're trying to sell this to men who have always been told "real men don't eat quiche", go the route my sister has gone and sell this as "egg pie".  All the boys in my life love egg pie, and the beauty of egg pie is that you can serve it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  And if you have one in the freezer ready to go, it's a snap to serve.  The other great thing about having a few quiches in your freezer?  If someone in your life needs a meal because they just had a baby, are ill, have a death in the family, etc., you have a wholesome and comforting dish at your fingertips.  

Pin It

Labels: ,