Homemade Won Ton Soup. Easy and Nourishing

So, I'm a teeth grinder.

I grind if I'm at peace, and I grind if I am stressed out.  It's been like this since I was little.  What is there to be stressed out about at three?  No idea, but I was still grinding away even then.  Grinding kills my jaw and makes my cheekbones ache.

I have a mouth guard to wear at night, and it works pretty well.  But, when I am stuffed up, I can't wear it, which means I grind hard core when my sinuses are already sore.

Therefore, when a cold comes along, it is as Jack would say "a double whammy".  Stuffed, snotty, and a painful face.   A trifecta of misery.

The surest way of temporarily defecting that misery is soup.  Soup makes everything better.  Soup feeds the soul, and nourishes me back to health.  Of my favorite comforting soups - chicken noodle, French Onion, and won ton - won ton is by far the fastest. Chicken noodle is best simmered all day to release the nutrients, French onion needs to be cooked slowly to properly caramelize the onions, but won ton?  Won ton is doable in 10 minutes of less.  Won ton is the soup you can make when you have snot streaming down your face and your head is spinning.



Won Ton Soup
2 cups of chicken stock
1 green onion, diced/sliced
1.5 tblp soy sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
Pot stickers (number is your choice)
Oil for frying (optional)

1) In a small pot, set the chicken broth, sesame oil, and soy sauce to a low boil.

2) Heat a cast iron or other heavy skillet on medium heat, and add the coconut oil.  Cook the pot stickers, turning occasionally, until crispy.

3) Pour the broth mixture in to a bowl, and add the potstickers and green onions.  Serve immediately.

We're talking 10 minutes tops.  God bless soup.

Now, if you want to prepare this even faster, and a bit more authentic, don't cook the pot stickers first.  Just add them to the broth while it is cooking, and bring it to rolling boil for a short period of time.

This soup will warm body chills, fill a tummy and make it happy, and aid in the healing process. 

The only thing this soup can't do, is cause your husband to freaking grow a pair when he gets the same cold that you have been managing just fine for the last few days.  Because soup is a wonderful thing, but it's not some magical potion that will make a man cold not the worst thing to happen in the history of the world.

Labels: