We may never go back to cable

Last week I wrote about a moral conflict with our cable not being turned off after we had asked for it to be.  And after they stopped charging us for it.  Well, they finally did turn it off.  Right in the middle of my first sick day from work day in six years.  Balls alive, oh the timing!

After the initial panic of not knowing what to do without TV in our lives, we looked for alternatives.  We ordered an indoors HDTV antenna that a few people I know have had luck with.  Unfortunately, after a day it didn't work for us, but I blame our neighbor's enormous house for blocking the signal. 

Indoor antenna: FAIL

Then we tried just plugging the TV in to the wall to see what we would get.  Turns out, we get Fox and about 3,000 religious channels.  I have faith in god (don't let me love of a good curse word fool you), but I prefer to grow my faith with people who don't wear pink wigs, have enormous fake breasts, and tell them I need to send money.  Thanks, but no.

Direct connection to cable outlet: FAIL

Next, I bought a HDMI cable from Fred Meyer to connect our Macbook to our TV.  The cable wasn't compatible with a Mac.

Generic HDMI cable: FAIL

Finally, Troy watched a YouTube video on connecting Macs to a TV via HDMI cable.  We ordered this wicked cheap cable from Amazon.  It worked.

Semi-generic HDMI cable that we actually spent a few minutes researching: SUCCESS!!!!

Unfortunately, we didn't read the part about also needing an audio cable to get sound.  We are now rocking any show we want via Hulu or specific network's websites (seriously, you guys NEED to be watching Southland on TNT. So so SO good).  We have sound via some old computer speakers that my dumpster diver spouse found a few years ago.  If anyone knows of a good/cheap audio cable that is compatible for Macbooks circa 2007, please leave a comment!

For a one-time price of $8, we're watching all the shows we could ever want to (except The Mentalist.  Side eye to CBS for not streaming that show).  The other night Troy said "why in the world were we every paying for cable"?

I don't know buddy, I don't know!