What doesn't kale you makes you stronger

Troy is responsible for that awesome title.  This is the same man who came up with "yesterday was waffle, but today will be butter" for my whole wheat waffles post.  He's taken ladies.  Don't.Even.Try.

So, let's talk dark leafy greens.  Good for you.  Full of awesome vitamins and minerals.  Some of the best foods you can put in your body.

Me?  I don't really care for them.

I know they're good for me.  I know they contain healthy stuff that can only be found in these specific plants.

I still don't love them.

But kale chips?  I'll eat the shit out of some kale chips.  As in like 15 servings of kale in one sitting.  Kale chips are the tastiest ways to get leafy greens in your diet.  Now, I wish I could say that these magically make my child love vegetables and that he begs for these.  He doesn't.  But I still like them.  So there!

I have a bunch of kale going to seed in my yard, so I've been making these pretty regularly.  

Kale chips
Kale (duh)
Sea salt
Olive oil

1) Cut the kale off of the ribs, and then in to large chunks.  Place the chunks in a bowl of cold water, and then do your best to dry off them off as much as you can.



2) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and place your kale chunks on the parchment.  Drizzle with olive oil (about 2 tblsp), and sprinkle with sea salt.

3) Bake at 275 until crispy, stirring every 10 minutes.  These things can go from "perfect" to "burnt turd" in about 10 seconds.  I typically bake mine for about 30 minutes total.

4) Place a paper towel or newspaper in an air-tight container, and put the chips on top to absorb any excess oil.  I don't know how long these will store.  I typically eat them in about three days.  They're wicked good.
Pin It

Labels: