POOP in 15 - Food, day 3

What is POOP in 15?  It is a series for people who want more order in their lives, but don't have a lot of time to devote to doing it.

Purpose
Organization
Order
Peace

Click here for more details.

Today's task is to dream big, but plan small.

Create a dream in which you and your family are eating wholesome from-scratch meals.  Now picture that scene, but about two years in the future.  Realistically, it might take you that long to get to that point.  You can do it more quickly, but if there is any opposition, or your learning curve is huge, give yourself the grace to acknowledge that this is a marathon and not a sprint.

We eat pretty decently, and I make most of our "stuff" from scratch, but in no way was it an instant change.  I had to make baby steps to create a paradigm shift in our family.  Too much all at once would have been a disaster; I would have had a revolt on my hands.  One change at a time over the course of years is how we got to a point where most processed food is no longer a part of our lives.

If you need a kick start on your whole foods journey, consider saving up for a few bigger purchases.  My Kitchen Aid mixer and my food processor sure make my life a lot easier and get used about four times a week.  They allow me to do more with less time; sure everything is possible by hand, but realistically, I wouldn't do them without the machines.

Labels: