Homemade Gyros

So, this is definitely not authentic.

But it is yummy.

And easy.

So, I'll keep making it until someone in the house tells me not to.

Homemade Gyros
Chicken
~1.5 lbs chicken breast
olive oil
Montreal Steak Seasoning (by McCormicks.  Costco sells it!)

Yogurt Dip Dressing
6 oz Greek or plain yogurt
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried chives
1/4 tsp dried dill
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup diced cucumber

Sides
Hummus (try homemade)
Feta
Pita (try homemade)

1) About 6 hours before serving this dish, mix the ingredients for the yogurt dip, and store in the fridge.



2) One hour prior to the meal, slice the chicken breast in to 1 inch wide strips and place in a shallow bowl.  Drizzle with olive oil (to your preference) and mix in about 1 tblsp steak seasoning.  Toss to coat, and set aside.

3) Grill the chicken until cook through, and set on a plate for 5 minutes to rest.  Slice in to bite size pieces.

4) Assemble gyros: place pita flat on a plate, add chicken, hummus (optional), feta, and yogurt dip.  We like to heat the pita just a bit before assembling the ingredients.
This photo does not show homemade photos.  It was hot as balls in my house, and heating my oven to 500 degrees sounded like as much fun as getting a pap smear from Edward Scissorhands.
Many people like to add grilled or raw onions to this, and while I'd love to do that, I'd also love to not smell farts all night from my dear husband.

To each their own I suppose.

I've shared this over at Barnyard Barn Hop,Tuned In Tuesday, Backyard Farming Connection, Time Travel Thursday, and Fresh Food Wednesday.


Pin It

Labels: