Now I have this amazing cake...what do I do with it?

So, you baked my awesome chocolate cake, and now you need to snaz it up, because let's be honest chocolate cake is simply a useful vehicle for getting frosting in to your mouth.

Allrecipes.com again saved the day.  I seriously need some advertising funding from these people because I pimp them hardcore!

My go-to cream cheese frosting recipe

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream the cream cheese and butter together in a mixer on high until light and fluffy.  Slowly add in sugar and vanilla.  If you want to use this to decorate, add more sugar for a stiffer frosting.  Add a pinch of salt in this case to counteract the sweetness.

And a great chocolate frosting recipe

2 cups butter (no substitutes), softened
9 cups confectioners' sugar
2 1/2 cups baking cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk

Cream the butter in a mixer on high, and slowly add in the other ingredients.  This recipe makes A LOT, so I cut everything down to 8 servings:
1/2 cup of butter, softened
2 1/4 cups of powdered sugar
3/4 cup of cocoa
1/2 tsp of vanilla
1/4 cup of milk

Out of powdered sugar?  Try making your own!  And for shits and giggles, make your own vanilla as well!

Jack's dino cake was made courtesy of this cake pan.  A great friend who decorates amazing cakes sent me a cake decorating kit, and recommended I use Wilton food gel coloring.  The colors were awesome!  The cake pan and gels were free using Amazon giftcards I've accumulated using Swagbucks.

Cake:

Orange scales:

Yellow tummy:

White claws, teeth, and a blue eye:

Happy boy:

Bonus party photos
A Super "J" cape my sister got him:
A dino tail my mom found on Etsy (look at that belly?  I loooove that belly!):
You know what happens when you beg people to please keep in mind that you don't want your child to have a ton of plastic toys and then you remind them you need to move twice in 2 months?  They completely ignore you:
And some gratuitous Jack shots.  You know how many of those toys we bought?  3.  My mom and MIL may need to tone it down...:

Labels: , ,