Sign up to receive my posts in your inbox. Daily fart jokes abound!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A day in the life

Wake up, got out of bed, ran a comb across my head...nothing like a Beatles reference to start a post, eh?

When Troy and I lived in Los Angeles, we loved to ride our bikes around the neighborhood and go to open houses.  We lived in a teeny tiny apartment in a really nice neighborhood, so it was fun to see how the "other half" lived.  We'd stash our bikes out of sight of the house, I'd fluff my helmet hair, and we'd walk around the open house proclaiming things like "ONLY 6 bathrooms...we'd really prefer 7.5 at the least".  We weren't fooling anyone in our Old Navy, Target, and Goodwill outfits, but oh it was a blast!

So, what does insight does it give you, the reader of this blog?  It's that I'm nosey.  I like to see how other people live.  If you're in the same boat, I welcome you to take a peak at what a typical day in my life looks like.  I've chosen a day where Troy isn't home in the evening because he is at his (unpaid) internship, because that is indeed a typical day for us!

4:45 am:  awake!  Getting up at a time when only fishermen, bakers, and meth addicts are awake isn't so bad in the summer when it is light.  During the late fall and winter, it blows.  Send a good morning text to a friend who is on Eastern time.

4:45 - 5:10 am: shower, hair, make up, etc.  Side note: I can get ready faster than most men in the morning!

5:10  - 5:30 am: stumble in to the kitchen to pour Jack's coconut milk in to a sippy, see what needs to be thrown in to the crockpot, taken out of the freezer, etc., etc., for dinner tonight.  I make sure my work bag and Jack's diaper bag are squared away, and get stuff out for my smoothies.

5:30 am:  I wake up Troy and then we wake up Jack.  After a quick trip to the potty for Jack, Troy and my boy head down to the basement to play with toys and get in to all kinds of fun mischief.  I finish tidying up the house, get dressed, load the car, etc.,

6 - 6:35 am:  commute to my aunt's house.

6:35 - 6:45 am:  drop Jack off, visit with aunt and uncle.

6:45 - 7 am: commute to work.

7 am - 5 pm: work, work, snack, meetings, work, work, internet, eat, work, committee meetings, work, snack. 

5 - 6:05 pm:  Return to my aunt's, visit, haul Jack and his crap in to the car, and commute home.

6:05 - 7:15 (ish) pm:  cook dinner, feed Jack, bath, naked time (for Jack!!!!) snuggles, books, stories, and bed.

7:15 - 8:00 (ish) pm: clean up from dinner (pack leftovers for lunches tomorrow), prep for dinner tomorrow, and work on special food projects (make yogurt, granola, soak beans, water kefir (that is another post for another day!), etc., etc.).  Now that we have internet, I'll watch some TV via hulu playing on the laptop on the kitchen counter.
You know why food bloggers always take gorgeous up-close photos of their food?  Cause they don't want to show you what the rest of their kitchen looks like. 
 8-8:15 (ish): (occasionally) write blog post, and schedule it to post for the next morning.

8:15 - ???: work in the garden - spread mulch, pull some of the 76,209 weeds that are awaiting my attention, stake tomatoes, plant new stuff, tear old stuff out, etc.

9 ish: depending on how dirty I got in the garden, I'll take a shower.  If no shower is needed, then I'll typically watch a little TV, work on a knitting project, surf the web, etc.

9:30-10 pm: depending on the day I've had, I get, fall, or crawl to bed.

Variations: if Troy is home, I will typically work out for 40 minutes after the kitchen is cleaned up and dinner for the next day is prepped.  If I get nice and sweaty and need a shower, I'll probably then head out to the garden to get even dirtier!

Weekends: I sleep in until about 5:30 am ish, and then get my butt in gear.  Jack's nap time always finds me batch cooking, bread baking, or cleaning.  Now that Jack is older and we let him watch a bit of TV, a 45 min Dinosaur Train DVD is a lovely distraction to let me get some other crap done!

If Troy actually happens to be home on the weekend, he and Jack typically spend the afternoon playing, going to the library, getting in to trouble, etc., while I work on kitchen projects.

So, how about you dear reader?  What is a day in the life like for you?

Also, check out the awesome tea giveaway I have going on.

This is posted at Traditional Tuesdays, Simple Lives Thursdays, and Pennywise Platter Thursday.

15 comments:

  1. I copied you and did this post. Nothing sounded fun to write about, so I did this. :) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really appreciated this post! As a newly married hopefully-soon-to-be-mommy(fingers crossed!) I've been struggling with how to fit in everything I want to do around my work day. It seems like many women who choose the real-food path have the blessing of staying home - which we simply can't afford. Its encouraging to know that it is possible.

    Although I'm not sure I can survive with as little sleep as you get! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @All About Us - so fun to see your working kitchen! Glad I'm not the only 1 with a busy-looking kitchen!

    @Alszambrano - fingers are indeed crossed that things work out in the mommy department! RE: the sleep, you'll find out that your capacity to adapt on less sleep increases as a parent. Somehow it just does!

    I too have found that most people who beat the real food drum the loudest have the benefit of staying home. I think that is wonderful, but I know it wouldn't work for us.

    Because I'm gone all day, I can't do most of the things that other real foodies who stay home are able to do. And you know what? That's ok. I allow myself to acknowledge that I can't do it all. There is no way! So when I am able to add a new "from-scratch" thing to my routine, I make sure to give myself a big ole' pat on the back. I may not be able to bake exclusively with a sourdough starter right now, but the yeast bread I made from (gasp) white bread flour is still better for my family than store-bought.

    Celebrate the mini victories, and the rest will fall in to place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really needed to see this too because it makes me realize it can be done! My husband is in a w/c, so I do 95% of everything around the house, in the yard, take care of the animals, and help him. I'm a little scared that once we adopt I won't be able to keep up. I guess I just have to remember that I can't do everything, but what I can do is step in the right direction. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pace yourselves, ladies. There are not many things (including food) that are worth sacrificing your health for. If you lose your health, then you definitely won't be able to take care of your family. I know. Been there. Done that. Fine now. :)

    Just do what you CAN do, and leave some time for you. You can only do what you can do. That makes sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "You know why food bloggers always take gorgeous up-close photos of their food? Cause they don't want to show you what the rest of their kitchen looks like. " This is so true! We are working on buying a house and it will most likely be a tiny fixer up because then we can put 50% down and pay off the rest in a couple years. The best I can hope for in a kitchen is good light!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Malina Layne (12years Air Force)March 31, 2012 at 7:47 PM

    4:00 am: hit the snooze
    4:10 wake up
    4.15-4:45: shower, t-shirt and socks, hair and make-up
    4:45 - 5:10 am: flip laundry (load-in, load out fold-n-stack), wipe down machines and log temp for NFP
    5:10 - 5:20 am: wake up my (heaviliy) snoozing sugar bear and set her off to potty, teeth, dress and hair (mommy how come you never wear pants, lol).
    5:20 - 5:45 am: don the rest of my uniform, prep coffee (thank God for auto timers), find lost shoes, do the sugar bear's hair, lay out frozen dinner (OAMC'er over here)
    5:45 - 5:55 am: morning prayers, lace up the boots and shut the door.
    5:55 - 6:10 am: two minute drive to day care, drop sweetie pie off, talk about morning for teachers heads up.
    6:10 - 6:25 am: hit the chow hall for egg white omlette and wheat toast V-8
    6:25 am - 5:45 pm: 6 minute drive to work. work, work, meetings, work, work, work, work. (no time for munching, maybe a snickers and a coke if I'm sneaky enough to get to the snack bar)
    5:45 pm - 6 pm: get to day care, cry a little b/c the teachers know her better than i do, belly crawl into class or find some other sneaky way to surprise her, get loaded down with hugs and kisses and haul butt home.
    6:00 pm - 6:05 pm: start oven, get sweetness a shower, dinner in the oven
    6:05 - 6:30 pm: brush out hair, jammies (or princess costume), play barbies or babies or play dough, or barbies
    6:30 pm 7:00 pm : eat and talk about day. i usually finish before she does so sometimes i will make up a wild story about my day or about what kind of animals have escaped from the zoo and are headed down our street
    7:00 pm 7:45 (ish) : prayers, fashion show to pick out tomorrows cuteness, story (or 2 or 5)
    7:45 - 8:30 pm: talk or skype with fiance` (he is stationed 18 hours away)
    8:30 - 9:00pm: get out of uniform, wash my face check pinterest,turn off alarm that says get your butt in bed. flip and fold laundry one more time (i do a full load a day, to the wind with sorting), set coffee and fall asleep before i get in the bed.

    Weekends: I sleep in until about 8 am ish, and then play until it's time for breakfast (i do not believe in cold cereal unless i am uuber sick).our community always has tons of free things to do on the weekend. Sunday we do church from 8-1 then visit friends and eat something junky for dinner. like tons of fruit and graham crackers. not really junky at all just not cooked i guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This makes me want to give you a hug: 5:45 pm - 6 pm: get to day care, cry a little b/c the teachers know her better than i do.

      I totally understand that. But please note that someone else may see your child during the day, but you are ALWAYS ALWAYS her momma. You carried her for 10 months and she is the only one who knows what your heart beat sounds like from the inside. Nothing and no one will ever be able to replace that.

      Delete
    2. Darn...

      *hug*

      "5:45 pm - 6 pm: get to day care, cry a little b/c the teachers know her better than i do."

      I have to admit - I cried when I read that one because I have been there...

      Weird thing is that 'Mommy' is always the best and most loved in their hearts hun.

      'Daycare' is the job they go to - the way Mommy works - they work hard too, they learn new things and practice being caring and sharing people and look forward to seeing the person they care about most in the world when their day comes to a close.

      I grew up with a single working Mom and became one myself after I had my third child - I know the guilt and regret of not being able to stay home with my darlings but I also remember how beautiful and special my Mother was to me when she would meet me at the end of our 'work day'...

      You are doing your best and that is so very much better than many children will ever see.

      Be well dear,
      Ruby.

      Delete
  8. And I thought I had to get up early at 6.45! I will never complain about my schedule again. Get up 6.45, time to leave house depends on how I'm getting to work - work 8 - 4.30, home before 5. Looks like a breeze compared to you ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sound like a single mom. I would like to see "a day in the life of Troy"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call myself a married single mom!

      Delete
  10. If you put a thick layer of newspapers down wet them thoroughly, THEN add your mulch, you won't have to :
    "8:15 - spread mulch, pull some of the 76,209 weeds that are awaiting my attention, stake tomatoes, plant new stuff, tear old stuff out, etc."
    Put wet newspapers around the tomato plants, so you won't have to weed so much. Be sure to put mulch on top, or it will dry out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my plan for this year. We moved in to this place last year and the garden had been neglected for years. We're talking 5 foot tall weeds. I had to clear everything out before I could even see the dirt. It was awesome!

      Delete
  11. This is totally my life...just on the East Coast!

    -Sara

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me more excited than Jessie Spano on caffeine pills!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...