Meal plan for December 31st - January 6th

This post was going to start out with an amazing photo of a Lego firetruck that I spent two hours building.  Right as I grabbed the camera, Jack said "cool firetruck Mommy" and then dropped it on the kitchen floor.  Yippee skippy!

How was your Christmas?  Ours was wonderful, but crazy as always.  Three days of Christmases gets a wee bit exhausting.  Wednesday night, after Christmas number three, Jack lost his ever loving mind at bedtime and ended up falling asleep as he was sobbing in my arms.  One second sobbing.  The next second, snoring.  Checking on him later, we found him burning up with a 103 temperature.  He was so pathetic I asked him if he wanted to sleep in our bed.  He nodded yes.  That was the first sign he was really sick.

In three and a half years, Jack has never chosen to sleep in our bed.  He loves his space and refuses to be next to anyone else.  When he was first born, I was all about bed sharing, attachment parenting, etc., but the little butthead wouldn't cooperate from day one.

A trip to the ped the next day resulted in the diagnosis of "throat infection".  His tonsils (already giant) were red and throbbing.  I'm glad he is seeing the ear, nose, and throat doctor next Wednesday.

Speaking of ENT doctors, we got the bill for Jack's sleep study today.  The good news is, we've met our family deductible for the year!  The bad news is, there are two days left in the year, and it's going to cost us $3,300 out of pocket.  Gulp.  We have a health savings account that gets automatic deposits each month, so hopefully they'll allow us make payments.  Sucks that we couldn't have waited until January to do it so that the sleep study would have paid for the ENT and tonsil surgery that is coming down the pike.  Sigh.

Yesterday afternoon, bored with my birds pillow cases, I whipped up a few new ones, and am liking the change.  My mother-in-law referred to them as "happy pillows".  These cases are seriously so easy to make.  If you got a sewing machine for Christmas and barely know how to use it, this is a great project for you!

And just because I never relate to bloggers when they post photos of their lovely homes and pretend that they're perfect, here is what was behind me on the floor while I was taking the above photos.  Jack got the TAG book system for Christmas, and my large cutting board has been commandeered for the foundation of many Angry Birds Star Wars castles.  The blanket is an old one I made for him last year, and no other blanket seems to replace it.
Speaking of Christmas presents, I was incredibly blessed this year.  I received some awesome new cookbooks and sewing books, and some fun kitchen gadgets as well.  My three favorite gifts were a magnetic knife bar, a new paring knife (mine broke in October and I've been lost without it), and a fancy chef's knife that I've been lusting over for a very long time.  I'm quite easy to please my friends - knives and books!

Jack opened his superhero quilt on Christmas day, and fell in love with it, but since then he has refused to touch it.  Brat.

When Jack was about 18 months old, Troy's grandma, GG (Great Grandma) gave Jack a kitty that he named GG Kitty.  Jack and GG Kitty go everywhere together.  For Christmas, I made GG a photobook from Shutterfly about Jack and GG Kitty's adventures.
Judging by the sobbing on Christmas morning, I think it was a hit.

I like making old ladies cry.

Clearly.

Ok, enough jibber jabber, here is our meal plan for the week.  Reminder, I only plan dinners, because breakfast is always smoothies or eggs with something, and lunches are always leftovers.  We rarely eat dessert during the week, and our dinner drink of choice is water kefir soda.

Monday:: World's Second Best Baked Potatoes, salad, and tomato soup (canned from the garden).

Tuesday:: ASS (Awesome Sarah's Soup) which is a soup I used to make, and my in-laws named because they loved it so much.  I haven't made it in years, so I'm busting it out this week!  Will be paired with salad, and dutch oven bread.

Wednesday:: Breakfast dinner.

Thursday:: The sauce from this tilapia dish, but on chicken, roasted Brussels sprouts, and skillet potatoes.

Friday:: Popcorn dinner.  Yes, seriously we eat popcorn for dinner.  It's popcorn, leftovers, cheese slices, fruit, and cut up veggies.  Everyone gets as much as they want, and no one leaves hungry.  I adore Fridays because it is the easiest night of the week for making everyone happy!

Saturday:: Baked potato soup.  Made this a few weeks ago from an idea in my head.  It was good, so this time I'll measure and share the recipe with you.  With the soup, we'll have salad, and fruit.

Sunday:: Family dinner at my parent's.

This week I spent only about $12 on groceries from the store, and $3.50 for a half gallon of raw milk.  How I love a well-stocked fridge, pantry, and freezer!  All I bought this week were bananas, celery, cilantro, ginger, and a jalapeno.  Oh, and eggs.  Our local farm seems to be out of them a lot these days.  Lazy chickens aren't laying as much because of the reduction of daylight.  Feathered jerks.

How was your Christmas?  What are you eating this week?

Labels: