Meal plan for August 12th - 18th

Lately I've not had much of a desire to hit up garage sales.  Jack is always with me, and it's just a pain in the ass to get him in and out of the car seat, so recently, I've just been passing them by.

On Friday, a garage sale called to me.  I can't explain it.  I have no idea why I wanted to stop, but I just felt drawn to it.

What awaited me was this beauty:


I've been looking for a new entertainment center for months, and this old 60's buffet is going to be it.  Our current TV cabinet is fine, but has little storage.  Our DVD's live in the basement...which is not ideal for watching a movie upstairs in the living room.  Also, the DVD shelves live in what will be my parent's bedroom when they move in (likely next year now.  Sigh).  So, they need a new home.  And this kitschy, straight from the set of Mad Men, buffet is the best thing I've ever seen in my life. They wanted $20 for it, but accepted $15.

Now...what color do I paint it?  Honestly, I should let Troy decide since I tend to make all the big decisions about our stuff.  But...if he were to ask my opinion, I'm thinking dream.05 from Yolo.  Though, do you think this could be spray painted?  Spray paint would be so much freaking easier.

8/13 update: thanks to an alert reader and her mom, we've since found out that this is actually a pretty valuable piece of furniture.  As such, it will not be painted, but nor will it be sold.  I truly love it, and don't want to profit from something that makes me smile so much. It's nice to know that if we ever did need some cash quickly, we have a piece of furniture to sell.

If we did sell it, my husband and I agree that we would give half of the proceeds to the older couple who sold it to us at the garage sale.

I pulled the potatoes and garlic last week.  I think I got a decent haul for both.

The garlic was the first "crop" from stock that I grew.  In 2011, I purchased 1 pound of organic seed garlic from Azure Standard.  It grew well, and I used 5 heads from that crop to plant this year's crop, back in October 2012.  I know people have saved seed for thousands of years and stuff, but I kind feel like a magician; I put something in the ground that I grew, and then it grew!

The potatoes were from a box of seed potatoes that I bought from Territorial Seeds.  My friend Kat and I split the cost and the box, as neither of us had enough room for the entire box of seed spuds.
Garlic and spuds are now curing on our neighbor's old screen door in our garage.  I'm going to keep it there for about a week or so to dry and cure for long term storage.

Remember the crazy weird fungus that appeared in my garden last week after we had our first rain in over a month?  Well, we had another rainstorm Friday night, and the next morning, the fungus had turned in to this:
Crazy!

And just cause, here is a photo that Jack took.
Chicken update: we're at a grand total of 8 now!  They were coming every other day, but for the last four days, we've gathered one egg per day.  Either our one hen that is laying, is now laying more, or we have two laying hens!  Jack has gathered almost all of them, and he's so fun to watch as he reaches in to the coop.  He always says "point down" when he puts them in the carton, and likes to count them.

Meal plan time!  Reminder, I only plan dinners.  My breakfast of choice has changed, and I'm now obsessed with homemade Greek yogurt with tons of cut up fresh fruit, and a homemade granola bar (recipe coming this week) crumbled on top.  It's delicious and keeps me completely full and satisfied until lunch. Lunches are always leftovers.  We rarely eat dessert during the week, and our dinner drink of choice is water kefir soda.

Monday:: Chicken Meatball Noodle Bowl.  I saw this recipe in a magazine at the library a few weeks ago, but for the life of me, I couldn't find my copy anywhere.  DUH, it was on my phone - I took photos of it, and just realized it this week.

Tuesday:: Tomato soup canned from last year's garden, coleslaw, and quesadillas.

Wednesday:: I'm working late, but the boys will have gyros.  Again.  We're digging these.

Thursday:: Taco salads with grilled garlicky shrimp.

Friday:: Popcorn dinner.  Yes, seriously we eat popcorn for dinner.  It's popcorn, leftovers, cheese slices, fruit, and cut up veggies.  Everyone gets as much as they want, and no one leaves hungry.  I adore Fridays because it is the easiest night of the week for making everyone happy!

Saturday:: I don't think we'll need dinner.  Jack has a birthday party at 3 pm, and who knows what will be served there.  If we need something quick, I'll wing it with eggs.

Sunday:: An old friend of mine is in town from LA, and we're going to hang out before her flight leaves in the evening.  I'm sure we'll grab a bite to eat in the city.

This week I spent $19.88 at the fruit stand, $3.50 for raw milk (I didn't buy any eggs this week.  YAY!!!), and $32 at the grocery store.

What are you all having?

I've shared this over at Barnyard Blog Hop, Tuned in Tuesday, Backyard Farming Connection.

Labels: